Black Nights Stars
Black Nights Stars is designed to help promote young actors from the Baltic Sea region outside their home territory, connect with international film professionals, and acquire the practical skills needed in their future international careers.
The three-day lab highlighting the emerging talent is based on the participants’ first film and TV roles and consists of a variety of events including masterclasses and networking events. The programme mainly focuses on the casting and audition processes and presenting oneself outside a film set – at industry and media events.
Screen International Industry Talk with Black Nights Stars in 2019.
The Black Nights Stars programme is presented by Industry@Tallinn & Baltic Event during the Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival and the European Regional Development Fund funded project Creative Gate.
”I think last year’s Black Nights Stars programme was a great success with interesting events, panels and workshops, great people and great new contacts,” says Raakel Huikuri, Talent Agent from Lisa Richards Nordic. “We were introduced to brilliant new talent, and ended up signing a new client through the event.”
“The Black Nights Stars program is a Pro-Active opportunity for actors from the Baltic region to be seen by the ‘doorkeepers’, the casting directors and by decision-makers such as producers, directors and casting agents. To move on with their careers in a time where Netflix & Co have the opportunity to produce 30% of their content in Europe. Black Nights Stars is a program that mirrors these new opportunities and supports actors to walk through this door.” Georg Georgie of Das Imperium, Berlin
2019 BLACK NIGHTS STARS PARTICIPANTS AND EXPERTS
The Black Nights Stars program took place from 25-27 November, 2019. Please find information on the 2019 edition of Black Nights Stars below.
Black Nights Stars 2019 Participants:
- Maria Dragus (Germany), photo by by Natacha Lamblin
- Franz Malmsten (Estonia)
- Risto Vaidla (Estonia)
- Povilas Jatkevičius (Lithuania)
- Magdalena Berus (Poland)
- Mimosa Willamo (Finland)
Black Nights Stars 2019 Jury:
- Nikki Baughan – contributing editor (Screen International)
- Elen Lotman – Estonian director of photography (When You Least Expect; Demons)
- Rea Lest – 2019 winner of Bruno O’Ya Best Young Estonian Actor Award, European Shooting Star 2019, actress (November; Scandinavian Silence),
- Jeremy Zimmermann – UK and USA based casting director (Moon, Hellboy, Willow, Keeping Mum)
- Claudia Landsberger – creative producer
Black Nights Stars 2019 Experts:
- Nancy Bishop, casting director at Nancy Bishop Casting, USA
- Heather Basten, casting director at Heather Basten Casting, UK
- Vanessa Henneman, talent agent, Henneman Agency, Netherlands
- Robin Hudson, talent agent at Olivia Bell Management, UK
- Raakel Huikuri, casting agent at Lisa Richards Agency / LR Nordic, Finland
- Maria Kiisk, casting director at Swedish Television, Sweden
- Kristina Kolytė, casting director at Editos Casting, Lithuania
- Magdalena Szwarcbart, casting director at Magdalena Swarzcbart, Poland
- Jeremy Zimmerman, casting director at Jeremy Zimmerman Casting, UK
- Special Guest: Dante Spinotti, cinematographer and a member of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Italy
The three-day lab highlighting the emerging talent consisted of a variety of events including masterclasses and networking events. The programme mainly focused on the casting and audition processes and presenting oneself outside a film set – at industry and media events.
Speed-dating session for Estonian actors with international agents and casting experts (with pre-registration)
- Nancy Bishop (Nancy Bishop Casting, USA)
- Heather Basten (Heather Basten Casting, UK)
- Raakel Huikuri (Lisa Richards Nordic, Finland)
- Robin Hudson (Olivia Bell Management, UK)
- Maria Kiisk (Swedish Television, Sweden)
- Kristina Kolytė (Editos Casting, Lithuania)
- Magdalena Szwarcbart (Poland)
- Jeremy Zimmermann (Jeremy Zimmermann Casting, UK).
Presentation by Vanessa Henneman of Henneman Agency: “What is and how does packaging of talent and projects actually work?” Talent agent’s aim is to match their talent with great projects and vice versa, that is the art of “packaging. How can agencies and producers work better together on an European level?
Masterclass with two-time Academy Award nominee Dante Spinotti about his work and experiences as a Director of Photography
Industry Talk with casting director Magdalena Szwarcbart, Poland, on her experience casting the films Cold War by Paweł Pawlikowski and Schindler’s List by Steven Spielberg and the difference of working with European productions and US productions.
Workshop with Emmy-nominee Nancy Bishop: Two-hour seminar focusing on strategies for actors to promote themselves in an increasingly competitive market. The Internet is a great democratiser, offering endless possibilities for actors to get themselves seen